The Responsibilities of a Solicitor's Victim/Witness Advocate:
• Accompanies victims/witnesses to court
• Assists with the preparation and distribution of Victim Impact Statements (VIS)
• Coordinates victims/witnesses with other programs and services
• Facilitates the victim’s right to confer with the prosecutor prior to disposition.
• Informs victims/witnesses of case status and provides notice of scheduled proceedings
• Prepares victims/witnesses for court appearances
• Provides crisis intervention
• Provides orientation/overview of the criminal justice system and the court process
• Provides safety plans for victims
• Serves as a liaison between prosecutors and victims/witnesses
The Fifth Circuit Solicitor’s Office has a bilingual (Spanish) advocate on staff.