– Last week, Stanley Parnell Jones pled guilty before the Honorable Chief Justice Jean H. Toal to Murder, three counts of Burglary in the First Degree, Grand Larceny, six counts of Armed Robbery, eleven counts of Kidnapping, one count of Attempted Armed Robbery, two counts of Assault and Battery in the First Degree, and four counts of Possession of a Weapon During a Violent Crime. Mr. Jones was sentenced to seventy (70) years at the South Carolina Department of Corrections. He is not eligible for parole. He will be eligible for release in 2084 at age 97.
On December 23, 2013, Stanley Jones committed an armed robbery outside of the victim’s residence. Law enforcement was able to quickly apprehend Mr. Jones and take him into custody. Mr. Jones was released from the Alvin S. Glenn detention center on December 30, 2013 after posting a $150,000 bond.
While out on bond Mr. Jones began a lengthy crime spree that included:
- January 9, 2014 – Stanley Jones burglarized a residence on Woodbranch Drive by breaking the kitchen window with a brick. Once inside the home he stole personal effects belonging to the homeowners.
- January 22, 2014 – Stanley Jones burglarized a residence on Harrison Road by breaking out a rear window and stole a S&W 40 cal. Handgun.
- February 4, 2014 – Stanley Jones committed Murder, Burglary in the First Degree, Armed Robbery, and two counts of Kidnapping. Stanley Jones and his co-defendants kicked in the door of Tresvon Coker’s residence on Brookfield Road and demanded money from Mr. Coker and his fiancé Jessica Hall. Mr. Coker tried to defend himself, and in the process, Stanley Jones shot him in the head. Mr. Coker was immediately rushed to Palmetto Health Richland where he died as a result of the gunshot three weeks later.
- On February 5, 2014 – Stanley Jones committed an armed robbery of the Mini Mart where he held the clerk at gunpoint and received over $900 in cash.
- On February 7, 2014 – Stanley Jones committed an armed robbery at the LiL Cricket where he pointed a shotgun at the clerk and a customer and demanded money.
- On February 15, 2014- Stanley Jones committed an Armed Robbery of a local Dollar General, in which he held a knife to the manager’s neck and demanded that she open the safe. The defendant fled once the manager gave him $1,500.00.
- On February 17, 2014- Stanley Jones committed an Armed Robbery of BoJangles in which he held the manager at purported knifepoint and forced her and four other individuals into a back room. Once there, he demanded that she open the safe.
- Stanley Jones then fled to North Carolina where he committed an Armed Robbery of a Dollar General. He then fled to Norfolk, Virginia. He was ultimately apprehended in Norfolk and extradited back to South Carolina.
And, while Parnell Jones was housed at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center on June 12, 2015, he attacked a female guard. Stanley Jones grabbed the guard and held a shank – a makeshift weapon - to her. He then tried to force her into a cell; she was able to fight him off and tried to escape. Mr. Jones grabbed her again and forced her into a corner. Then he removed her shoes and began to remove her pants before she was rescued by other detention center personnel.
In sentencing Mr. Jones, the Honorable Chief Justice Jean H. Toal stated and Solicitor Johnson agreed, “that it doesn’t get much worse than this.” Mr. Jones was sentenced to seventy (70) years at SCDC.